Illegal Interview Questions
Most employers do not intentionally ask illegal questions during a job interview. However it is important to distinguish what is consider an illegal question during an interview and how to handle them if they do arise.
List of illegal interview questions
- Are you a US citizen?
- Where were you/your parents born?
- What is your native language?
- How old are you?
- What’s your birth date?
- What’s your marital status?
- Who do you live with?
- Do you plan on starting a family?
- How many kids do you have?
- How tall are you?
- How much do you weigh?
- Do you have any disabilities?
- How’s your families health?
- Have you ever been arrested?
Advice on how to answer illegal interview questions
When these questions come up, there is often an awkwardness, therefore these types of questions might be difficult to answer. Legally, you are not obligated to answer any of the questions.
If you feel comfortable, you should not hesitate to answer the question. If you do feel uncomfortable answering such a question simply tell the interviewer that you do
not feel comfortable answering that question.