Accounting Interview Questions
Accounting is a profession that is left-brain centric, which requires attention to detail, as well as a passion for numbers and their practical application. There are several types of accountants, such as:
- Public Accountants – Performs auditing, tax preparation, and consulting for corporations, non-profits and individuals
- Forensic accountants – Investigates white-collar crimes (i.e. embezzlement, securities fraud)
- Management accountants – Record and analyze financial information within a specific company
- Government accountants – Maintain records of government agencies and audit corporations or individuals whose activities fall under government regulation or taxation.
Accounting Interview Types
The types of interview questions that you might encounter in an Accounting interview vary. When you are preparing for an Accounting job interview, it is recommended that you review these types of interview questions prior to the interview. Accounting interview questions typically include:
- Standard Interview Questions– These are the most common general job interview questions around credential verification and experience verification such as “Tell me about yourself?”
- Behavioral Interview Questions– These types of questions ask you what you would do or have done in certain situations.
- Problem-Solving Interview Questions– Problem solving interview questions serve a critical role in gauging a candidate’s problem solving skills, creativeness, resourcefulness, and thinking pattern
- Accounting Interview Questions (see list below) – These are specific occupation questions that gauge your skill set and knowledge.
Accounting Specific Interview Questions List
Here is a list of Accounting Interview Questions you might come across in a typical Accountant interview.
1) Accounting Today Question
- What do you consider to be the biggest challenge facing the accounting profession today? How is it being addressed?
2) Accounting System Interview Questions
- Which accounting applications have you used in the past? What is your proficiency with that accounting application?
- Describe the advantages and disadvantages of different accounting applications you have used in your most recent accountant jobs.
3) Accounting Experience and Behavioral Interview Questions
- Describe any accounting process that you have developed or improved.
- Describe a time when you help reduce expense or cost at your previous accounting job.
- Describe a time when you had to use numerical data or a graph to convince management.
- Describe a time when you had to work exceptionally hard to provide great service to a customer or client. What did you do and what was the outcome?
- Describe a time when you faced a particularly demanding deadline to prepare a financial statement or report. How did you handle it? What was the end result?
- How do you ensure that you do not forget details and ensure accuracy when you prepare monthly journal entries, record transactions, etc.?
- Describe a time when you had to explain a complex accounting issue to someone without an accounting background. How did you help them understand the situation?