Interview Question: The Dog Show
There are 196 legs and 126 eyes at the dog show. All the people and all the dogs at the show have a normal number of eyes and legs.
How many people and how many dogs are present?
Strategy and Approach to Answering a Problem Solving Interview Question Used by Top Firms (e.g., Microsoft, Google, Amazon, etc.)
If you get asked a problem solving question in an interview, remember that they are NOT looking for the RIGHT answer. They are evaluating the approach you use to think out and solve the problem. A strong candidate demonstrates the following:
- Evaluates and understand the scope of the problem
- Communicates assumptions
- Demonstrates quantitative analytical skills
- Answers the question that has been asked. You’d be surprised how many candidates get lost in the analysis and solve for a different question than what was asked.
How to Answer this Problem Solving Interview Question
Using the strategy outline above, the answer to this question is quite clear.
- Dogs and people have two eyes each, divide 126 by 2 to get the total number of dogs and people: 126 / 2 = 63 dogs and people (combined) at the dog show
- There are 70 more legs than eyes at the dog show (196 – 126 = 70).
- Dogs have two more legs than eyes, and humans have the same number of legs as eyes. Thus 70 is twice the number of dogs at the show, so the number of dogs is half of 70, which is 35.
- To get the number of humans, subtract 35 from 63: 63 – 35 = 28. Thus there are 35 dogs and 28 people.
Note: For this problem solving job interview question, there is an actual logical answer, however the interviewer will want to evaluate your thinking process. In answering the interview question, the lead up to your answer will be just as important as the actual answer itself.
For more problem solving, brain teasers, riddles, puzzles, logic job interview questions, please check our out Problem Solving Interview Section.
List of Problem Solving Interview Questions Used by Top Firms (e.g., Microsoft, Google, Facebook, etc.)
- 100 Prisoners and a Light Bulb Interview Question
- 5 Pirates and 100 Gold Coins Interview Question
- Birthday Problem Interview Question
- Bridge Crossing Interview Question
- Burning Rope Interview Question
- Card Game Interview Question
- Crossing the River Interview Question
- Dog Show Interview Question
- Equal Halves of Rectangular Birthday Cake Interview Question
- Estimate the market demand in gallons for skim milk consumed in the U.S. in a given year.
- How many golf balls can you fit in a school bus?
- How many street lamps are there in Manhattan?
- How many times a day does a clock’s hands overlap?
- How Many Zeros in 100 Factorial (100!)?
- How much would you charge to wash all the windows in New York City?
- In a country, in which every family wants a boy
- Rising Tide Interview Question
- The Fermi Problem – How many Piano Tuners are there in Chicago?
- The Heaviest Ball Interview Question
- The Monty Hall Interview Question
- The Race Interview Question
- Tiger and Sheep Interview Question
- Why are manhole covers round?